MediaTek ushers in AI-enabled interactive multimedia experiences
MediaTek has unveiled its new 4K smart TV chip, the MT9638, which comes with an integrated high-performance AI processing unit (APU).
The MT9638 has been designed to support cutting-edge AI enhancement technologies such as AI super resolution, AI picture quality and AI voice assistants, plus variable refresh rate (VRR) and MEMC (motion estimation and motion compensation) so graphics appear smoother.
With its high performance processing capabilities the device has been optimised for visual quality, and gives global TV makers features to design competitive 4K smart TVs.
“As smart home appliances become more intelligent and diversified, smart TVs are becoming the new hub for the smart home as consumers take advantage of AI-enabled multimedia features to control all their devices right from their TV,” said Alex Chen, General Manager of the TV Business Unit at MediaTek.
With built-in AI picture quality technology, the chip enables real-time content and scene recognition, automatically adjusting colour saturation, brightness, sharpness, dynamic motion compensation and smart noise reduction to improve overall image quality.
MediaTek’s AI super resolution technology, combined with the company’s MEMC technology, is able to intelligently upscale resolution through multi-frame blending to deliver clearer images at the smart TV’s native resolution.
The chip supports the latest connectivity technologies including Wi-Fi 6 for fast, reliable connectivity and HDMI 2.1, which integrates support for VRR to match movies or console gaming frame-rates in order to avoid screen tearing. The MT9638 also supports applications powered by AI voice recognition and AI enabled video calls, opening up new ways for consumers to interact with their smart TV.
MediaTek’s MT9638 supports multiple advanced technologies:
- Up to 4K60 resolution support with a multimedia decoding engine for HEVC, VP9 and the latest AV1 content.
- HDR10+ Display support, enabling full array backlight local dimming with >2000 zones.
- Premium Dolby Atmos and DTS Virtual X surround sound support.
- The latest HDMI 2.1a and USB 3.0 interfaces, in addition to gigabit-class Wi-Fi 6 connectivity.
- With up to four far-field microphones, the chip provides whole room coverage for voice assistants with ultra-low power consumption (0.5W) on standby and ultra-fast, one second resume for wake-up words.